Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Feb 26 Austin Update

Changes
I had lunch with a friend yesterday who wondered why everything we were eating was funky, natural, and organic. Brett said I had "gone to the dark side." My friend said something like "I remember you in college. You ate the WORST FOOD ever..." the conversation went on for awhile. I mentioned I remember eating Garlic Cheesebread (Pizza dough covered with cheese and spices with ranch and marinara dips) at 2 a.m. in the dorm. Wow! Got me thinking about changing. I love the changes we've made here so far such as composting kitchen scraps for the garden. Also, recycling...here it is part of your regular trash service. They give you a HUGE can to put your recycle stuff like plastics, cans, paper, etc (there are rules on the can) and a tiny can for the rest of your trash. So we have 2 trash bins inside, one for all the recycle stuff, one not. Very cool, It has me thinking all the time about what is recycle-able. Brett says I follow him around to gather his recycle-able trash...not true, like I'd have time to do that????!!! These environmental/lifestyle changes are positive, but I want God to change my heart too. Moving and being faced with a visible reminder (i.e. boxes) of how much STUFF I have is humbling. Since I have been here, I have been thinking about habits I have had for years such as shopping for the wrong reasons (boredom, to escape, pick me up, entertainment). Not having much money and God working in me has caused me to think about what I really need before I go out (novel idea...ha!). I'm sure I'll have a lifelong struggle with shopping for entertaiment, I just wanted to share that. I now know that only Christ truly satisfies me....not hunting for a new pair of earrings, strappy black shoes, etc. (Though earrings and shopping are not inherrently wrong.....they just can be if put before Christ.) My prayer is that I will continually remember He alone satisfies me..nothing else (not even Whole Foods market.)

Kid news
Ava is doing GREAT at school. She says she LOVES it! Going all day is a bit of an adjustment....she is tired and cranky by dinner. Needless to say, all the kids go to bed very easily at 7 pm. (or earlier!). Having all day school and a big yard make for tired young uns. Thanks for your prayers for all our kids. Lily is loving having time with us while Ava is at school, she is very happy. Since my last message, Josh is basically back to his old, uberhappy self. Yesterday after school, we all enjoyed Amy's Ice Cream (the best) at a beautiful park. It was very warm (low 80s) and we had on our summer attire (still weird.... 2 weeks ago we were in snow). Note about last email: Emmett wasn't shaved because of fleas but because Brett wanted to (to keep him cool, see how he'd look, extreme makeover?). He's doing great...still has his confidence.

Thoughts about Community
This week, now that we are more settled, I have been missing something. There is an emptiness, a feeling that something is missing. After praying and thinking and reading in John 15 (bearing fruit part), I realize that I am not satisfied with my life being just about our routine: get up, kid to school, unpack, clean up, eat, kid from school, family time, dinner, sleep, weekends with family and friends. I want more. There is more and it involves taking Christ to others, bearing fruit how He wants...living in Community. After experiencing that in Glenwood with our House Church, I can tell you, I truly miss it. I miss needing and relying on each other, seeing your community (family) during the week, keeping up with each other's lives, sharing how Christ is working in each other It has been less than 2 weeks...shows what an impact in me that true communitity has had. It is not just about Church or going to church, but about living our entire lives for Christ (not just parts of it). I'm not depressed, I have Christ, He is speaking to me and giving me peace; however, I truly desire to have a community of believers here too. I'm excited for it!

Parting thoughts
I'm car-less today. Brett took the van to San Antonio for meetings. Thankfully, Ava's school is only a 20 min walk. We'll be walking to get her this afternoon. It is a nice day. A friend is coming for a play date this afternoon and letting us borrow an extra Suburban that they have. (Thank you God and Shannon!) This weekend we get to see more of my friends and their families (yeah, Andrea, Wally & Logan). Come March, let the houseguests begin! Having both sets of parents and possibly Heidi and Charlie. Bring em on! We're excited and the house is (almost) ready. Love you all, Tiff See pics below. Most are taken in back yard (other than the ones at Joe's Crab Shack.)
The big move <http://albums.phanfare.com/6134579/3507394>
<http://albums.phanfare.com/6134579/3507394>

No comments:

Post a Comment