Tuesday, March 17, 2009

March 7 Austin Update

God's DeeDee
For any of you that don't know "her", DeeDee is Lily's blankie. She named her that when she was between age 1 and 2; we don't know why. : ) I've been thinking this week and reading in Joana Weaver's (amazing) book Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World about something. The book talks about how this man's sister left her rag doll (Pandy) at a motel. Once they realized it, the family turned around (after driving for hours, I think) to go back to the motel and find Pandy. The doll was that important to the family because she was that important to the little girl. The book goes on to talk about how like Pandy or DeeDee, we are often broken, dirty, smelly...whatever, but that we are truly loved by God. We are God's DeeDee. He goes out of His way to have us with Him, protect us, keep us close. He treasures us. If you have spent any time around us at all, I'm sure you have been a part of a DeeDee search party around bedtime or naptime. "Where's DeeDee? Have you seen DeeDee? Mama, I LOVE her. Please find her." It is so cool to reflect on how much God loves us....even more than precious DeeDee. A side note about DeeDee, she was packed in the bowels of one of our moving trucks and Lily didn't have her for 3 days during the big move. One of the men in the army of helpers, used her to wrap something in, thinking she was just another old blanket. THANK GOD she was found (in good shape) a few days after being here. Kudos to Lily for being a champ and dealing well with not having her for a few days. Thankfully, God ALWAYS knows our value and where we are. He never loses us.

Progress
Ahhh...we're starting to feel good about how the house looks. Only a few boxes here and there in the downstairs, and more in the upstairs. We've been working hard all week, and we're feeling better about the state of the house. The guest room is ready for guests. Come on over! My parent's are coming next Tues for a few days. We look forward to showing them our new place. We love it. Brett has been BMXing in our cul-de-sac and has met almost all of the neighbors from the 7 homes in our street. They have been nice and talkative. Most are embarrassed to admit they don't know the other neighbors. Brett and Andy (man in his 60s a few houses down) are now planning a cul-de-sac block party together. Also, we are having a big Potluck next Sunday, March 15 at 5:30. We've invited pretty much everyone we know here (about 30 people, I'd say). It'll be a time to catch up with old friends and some family. We'll keep you posted on that. We're starting house church this week too. Please pray that God will be all in these times, conversations, meetings so we can further His kingdom.

Sacrifice
Mother Teresa said "True love hurts. It always has to hurt. If you really love one another, you will not be able to avoid making sacrifices." I read that this week and have really been thinking about it. I've thought about how so many of you have loved us, truly loved us, which is evident in the sacrifices you make such as: babysitting our children, packing our junk into boxes and trucks, financially giving to our ministry, bringing us food, loaning us vehicles, driving us places, giving us washers and dryers, etc. I've been a part of many religious groups in the past in which I was so involved with religious activities that I neglected to reach out to those around me. I mistakenly thought "my" relationship with God was just about gainly knowledge, another Bible Study or class, etc. That is not what you have shown to us, you have been Christ to us with how you've truly loved us. Thank you so much. We will never forget your sacrificial love. Moving forward, we (our family) seek to do this. To love like the quote speaks of...in a way that costs us something, that hurts, to love truly in a way that is sacrificial. This is so rarely seen, I think it totally sets a person or group apart. It points to nothing else but Christ since I feel living--and loving--like this is impossible without Christ doing it through us.

On a Lighter (and Grosser) Note
Wow....deep thoughts, I know. We've had some fun adventures to the mall (kids loving the indoor play place, Josh's first time on one), Chuy's restaurant (an Austin establishment, Mexican food, so good), Brett's BMXing journeys. He found an outdoor, dirt BMX track (park?) that he is dying to have Corey and Charlie (and anyone else willing to) come to with him. We found Lily's new preschool (Covenant Methodist) which is in walking distance from our home. It will be next Sept M, T, W from 9:30 to 1:30 for Pre-Kindergarten. It is great and cheaper than what were paying in Glenwood. (yeah!) She visited with us and is excited to go. Ava has a little girl "clique" that she is a part of now. They've been planning their outfits. "Let's all wear red tomorrow." She is doing great at school, not all all sad. The teacher said she is doing well. All day kindergarten makes a huge difference. We can tell already that she is reading better, talks about science concepts, etc. She is now lecturing us for wasting water by letting it run or drip, and talking about pollution, littering, etc. We're working on her all-around general sassy-ness...not fun, pray for us. Josh is great, still happy as a clam, eating tons and tons. Taking good naps. Good boy. He and Brett have been going out for lots of "man errands" such as getting chainsaw parts, looking for vehicles, buying bean sprouts and gourmet green garlic at Whole Foods (ok, so that isn't too "manly"). They're loving it. Gross dog story: Last week, Emmett had a rough day. I was outside when I saw Emmett rubbing his back on the grass. A few minutes later, Lily and I are eating lunch on a blanket. Lily says "Ewww. I smell poop." Emmett was rolling in poop and it is all over his back and neck. So I begrudgingly bathe him. That night after we were in bed, Emmett pooped in the house twice in the middle of the night (on tile, thank God). After Brett cleaned it up, a few hours later he heard Emmett heaving. Brett carries Emmett down stairs to get him out to throw up. As they were running down the stairs, Emmett launches all over the stairs and the walls. Horrible. For a few days, Emmett doesn't eat much and his tummy keeps gurgling. We keep wondering what he got into. Finally, Brett and I realize that he has been "snacking" in the compost pile. He's been munching on old, rotten veggie and fruit scraps. Since we blocked it off, he is much better.

Parting thoughts
To blog or not to blog? I was talking to Brett about how I was thinking of doing a blog, because I feel like I am bombarding people with my mega e-mails. His opinion is that I should keep with the emails, because people don't read blogs as much. So for the time being, I'm keeping it up. : ) You can of course, unsubscribe at any time by sending this back with "unsubscribe" in the subject line. : ) I wish I could call or text each of you, but can't right now due to my lack of free time due to my 3 little sweeties. So for the time being, I'm sending these long mass email updates. I just miss you and think of you often! I want to share what is happening.

Please pray for:
*divine appointments as we are out and about going about our lives.
*us to listen when God says "talk to him/her" as we're out and about.
*God to use our relationships, connections, conversations with friends and family to bring people to Him.
*our funding to be secure (it has been a bit stressful with the money promised from various religious organizations)
*my Dad begins radiation soon. For it to kill the cancer fully.
*my parent's trip and visit to be great.*I'm sure I'm forgetting something.... oh well. Love in Him, Tiff

No comments:

Post a Comment